Monday, February 14, 2011

Final Oscar Predictions: Best Supporting Actress

Will Win: Haliee Steinfeld - True Grit


This is the only major category that is completely in flux. I think any one of these women could potentially take this award, and I would not be surprised at any result, which is at complete opposite to how this category went down last year. Right now, Melissa Leo has the momentum, taking nearly all of the major precursors. However, I can’t help but look at those ten nominations for True Grit, and think about the overwhelming support that little Hailee Steinfeld has. It also helps that it’s a lead performance in a supporting category, and coupled with potential vote splitting between Leo and he co-star Amy Adams, that could give an edge to Steinfled. Leo is still the front-runner, but I’m going with a Steinfeld upset.


Should Win: Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit


I’m a little torn in this category. I’m thrilled that Jacki Weaver made it in, and even declared her the winner in my own personal choices. However, Steinfeld also gives a superior performance to Weaver, and should win over her, but her performance for me cannot be classified as supporting. If I’m judging by the performances alone, I have to go with Steinfeld, who held her own against the big boys and kept up the emotional center of the film. It’s the best performance in this category, but she shouldn’t be here. So, the best performance is Steinfeld. But the best supporting actress is Weaver.

1 comment:

  1. nice and I agree all the way with you.. Hailee was astonishing, amazing in "True Grit" she deserves the Oscar no doubt about it...!!!

    ReplyDelete