Saturday, February 26, 2011

Final Oscar Predictions: The Rest...

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Will Win: Toy Story 3

Should Win: Toy Story 3

-Pixar is looking to take this award for the fourth consecutive year. How to Train Your Dragon could pull off a big upset, but considering Toy Story 3 has a Best Picture nomination, this win seems like a safe bet.


BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Will Win: The King’s Speech

Should Win: The Kids Are All Right

-The sweep headed for The King’s Speech is looking to be very present here, particularly with a warm recipient like David Seidler. I personally responded more so to Lisa Cholodenko’s warm family dramedy (I would even go for Nolan to make up for the Best Director snub), but that’s a distant choice in the Academy’s eyes.


BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Will Win: The Social Network

Should Win: The Social Network

-This looks to be the only category where The Social Network is locked and loaded to win, and the film is too good to go home completely empty handed. The most honored script of the year will deservedly take this award.


BEST ART DIRECTION

Will Win: The King’s Speech

Should Win: Inception

-The period visual spectacle of The King’s Speech, plus its Best Picture momentum, will give it an edge here, though Alice in Wonderland can remain a spoiler, since every Burton film nominated here has won in the past. However, I’m personally fond of the sleek, contemporary design of Inception for the win here.


BEST COSTUME DESIGN

Will Win: The King’s Speech

Should Win: The King’s Speech

-Like Art Direction, The King’s Speech should take this one for the momentum and the spectacle, but Alice in Wonderland could also remain a potential spoiler. This time, though, I would agree with the selection of the front-runner.


BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Will Win: True Grit

Should Win: Inception

-It’s a travesty that legendary cinematographer Roger Deakins has been nominated nine times for an Oscar and has never won once. I expect True Grit to be the “career” prize for him. Of the nominees, I’d go with the dazzling ambition of Inception, which could pull off an upset, but had Rodrigo Prieto’s gorgeous work on Biutiful been recognized, I’d have voted for it.


BEST EDITING

Will Win: The Social Network

Should Win: The Social Network

-There’s another battle between The Social Network and The King’s Speech. Considering the former has the editors’ guild award, I’m going with it’s tight control for the win. Of the nominees, I agree it should be victorious. Even still, it’s atrocious that Inception was snubbed here, because it is the obvious winner in this category for me.


BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Will Win: The King’s Speech

Should Win: Inception

-The two Best Picture frontrunners are battling it out, and either The King’s Speech or The Social Network could end up winning. However, Reznor just has one Oscar nomination, while Alexandre Desplat is sitting with four. I think he’ll benefit from the sweep, which is sad considering it’s one of his more lazier scores. Still, my preference is with Hans “BRRRWWWAAA” Zimmer.


BEST ORIGINAL SONG

Will Win: “We Belong Together” - Toy Story 3

Should Win: “We Belong Together” - Toy Story 3

-It was a weak field for this category, with the only one I liked being the catchy toe-tapper from Randy Newman. I think the Academy will agree, though be on the lookout for Alan Menken to possibly come in and grab a ninth Oscar for his mantle.


BEST MAKEUP

Will Win: The Wolfman

Should Win: The Wolfman

-I could conceivably see any of these nominees winning this award. I go with The Wolfman because veteran Rick Baker is behind it, and that pulls the film out into the light. I suppose I’d agree, but I still was thoroughly impressed by the accomplishments of Alice in Wonderland, critics be damned.


BEST SOUND MIXING

Will Win: Inception

Should Win: Inception

-Last year, I totally crapped out on both the sound categories. I’m hoping to redeem myself this time. Inception will walk away mostly empty handed, but the effects technicals are where I expect it to perform well. I see a well deserved win here.


BEST SOUND EDITING

Will Win: Inception

Should Win: Inception

-Same thing as the Sound Mixing category, and I’m looking for similar results.


BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Will Win: Inception

Should Win: Inception

-Crazy things can happen in this category (i.e. The Golden Compass over Transformers and Pirates 3), but Inception’s blend of practical and CG-effects looks like a pretty safe bet, as it should be.


BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

Will Win: In a Better World

-I’ve only seen two out of the five films nominated: Biutiful and Dogtooth. I think Iñarritú’s film is too heavy for the Academy at large to go for, and Dogtooth is...well, it’s a miracle that film was even nominated. Going by the buzz on the street, it sounds like Denmark’s submission has the best chance. However, this category always likes to throw surprises, so your guess is as good as mine.


BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

Will Win: Inside Job

Should Win: Exit Though the Gift Shop

-Charles Ferguson’s very detailed account of the financial meltdown has impressed a lot of people, and since this is his second trip back after previously being nominated for No End in Sight, I think he’ll take this one. However, I’m hoping for a miracle to be thrown the way of Banksy’s film. It deserved a Best Picture nomination, and is certainly the most entertaining film of the bunch.


BEST ANIMATED SHORT

Will Win: The Gruffalo

Should Win: Day & Night

-When it comes to the shorts, I’ve yet to correctly predict any one of them. Still, I try anyway. I think the whimsy and all-star voice cast behind The Gruffalo will take the cake. Though I would vote for Pixar’s popular short, and that’s not even because it’s the only one people have seen.


BEST LIVE ACTION SHORT

Will Win: The Crush

Should Win: The Confession

-Most people are predicting Na Wewe, a Belgium short about civil unrest in Burundi. It’s very emotional, but I can’t shake the feeling that the fancy and charm of The Crush might take it. It probably won’t, but my gut is saying there’s something calling attention to it. Of the nominees, I’d vote for The Confession, which is beautifully shot, marvelously directed and very well acted.


BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT

Will Win: Strangers No More

-Always one of the most difficult categories to predict. I’m guessing that the tale of mixing ethnicities in an Israeli elementary school might take the edge and win. However, I’m nowhere near certain, and it’s really a shot in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment