Saturday, January 1, 2011

Most Anticipated in 2011

As another year has come to a close, the time comes to always look back as well as gaze into what the future might have in store. For 2011, there’s an interesting slate of films heading out, and these are the top eleven movies that currently have me intrigued.


11. Thor


I’m not a huge fan of many comic book properties, and this one is no different. I know very little of the source material, and the lead actor here has yet to impress me in anything he’s been in. However, the only reason why I am looking forward to this at all is because Kenneth Branagh is directing. It’s an interesting notion, and I’m curious to see what a distinguished filmmaker of Branagh’s pedigree can do with a big-budget action picture. Many are predicting failure, and they’re probably right, but I’m intrigued as of now.



10. Cowboys and Aliens


I was pleasantly surprised at how well Jon Faverau was able to competently handle the first Iron Man outing, especially considering nothing in his past signaled anything as such. I thought he was on track to become the next great action director. Iron Man 2 notwithstanding, I still believe that to an extent, and with such a, shall we say, “unique” premise, this ought to be one helluva ride.



9. Source Code


Duncan Jones’s Moon is a well shot work of art that impressed many, including myself. His follow up looks just as interesting. First, it’s got a great cast featuring Jake Gyllenhaal, Vera Farmiga and Jeffrey Wright. Then you’ve also got a pretty interesting premise, even if it bares a resemblance to Tony Scott’s Deja Vu. Add to it a homefront location and it all adds up to a pretty good film. At least a film that has potential to be good, and one I’m very much looking forward to seeing.



8. Rise of the Apes

Call me crazy for looking forward to yet another chapter in the already worn out Planet of the Apes series, but often times the spoils from the past year have away of bleeding into less worthy projects of the next. It happened last year when Jeff Bridges’s performance in Crazy Heart amped up my anticipation for TRON. After seeing James Franco give two really good performances in 2010, I’m ready to see him in just about anything. Between this and Your Highness, I’d much rather see this, and the fact that the cast also includes Frieda Pinto and Andy Serkis doesn’t hurt either.



7. The Thing

I have a lot of respect for the original classic, and John Carpenter’s re-imagining is one of those few remakes that approaches on being better than the film it took inspiration. I’m not exactly sure why this story calls for further attention every thirty years, but I’d agree that there’s always room to dive deeper. If the film can harken back to the vision that Carpenter had while also giving trying to execute the original film’s origin storyline, then that sounds quite promising. Hopefully the film can follow-up on that promise.



6. X-Men: First Class


The Wolverine movie that came out a couple years ago may have made Fox a bundle of cash, but it sure did stink like nobody’s business. This is a project that, I’ll admit, doesn’t sound very interesting on the surface. Yet another prequel in this franchise that is quickly losing steam doesn’t sound promising. However, having a stylish director like Matthew Vaughn and an incredible cast that includes the names of James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence and Kevin Bacon, that sounds a little more promising.



5. Moneyball


This has been a notoriously dogged production, facing many financial issues as well as creative ones which eventually led original director Steven Soderbergh to abandon the project. That many problems out the gate is never a good sign. However, there remains a sliver of hope, as Soderbergh’s replacement is Bennett Miller, handling his first film since his incredible debut with Capote. I’ve been awaiting for another Miller film for many years now, and this is the next one coming up. And the cast is pretty nice too.



4. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides


I’ve enjoyed nearly all of the of the films in the Pirates trilogy, even though the first sequel was an overstuffed mess, and the second sequel was an overcomplicated mess. However, it appears that this one is trying to return to the simple roots that made the first film so enjoyable. Losing Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightly helps a bit as well, and, like Thor, I’m interested in seeing what a prestigious director like Rob Marshall can do with such an action heavy film.



3. Hugo Cabret


Even though I was underwhelmed by Martin Scorsese’s Shutter Island, I am still excited by his projects, and eagerly await any film he’s got lined up. He still remains a master filmmaker, and always allows incredible actors to work with him. Chloe Moretz is an incredible new talent and surrounding her is the likes of Jude Law, Sacha Baron Cohen, Ben Kingsley and Christopher Lee. Plus, I’m interested in seeing what Scorsese’s first venture into the digital 3D process will heed.



2. The Tree of Life


I’ve been hearing talk of this film for at least three years now, and I even had it as one of my anticipated films for the fall of last year when it was still tentatively slated to be released then. I stick by what I said then: I’m still not a huge Terrence Malik fan, but the buzz surrounding this project has me in interested. Plus, the newly displayed trailer has a beauty and elegance to it that is quite difficult not to be dazzled by.



1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2


The grand finale has finally come. After a decade of films, the enormous series will see it’s fantastic conclusion. The first part of the finale was a tad underwhelming, but everyone was told that all that wandering through the forest was just a necessary pretext for the epic battle that was to come. From a literary standpoint, that much is very true. Having been with the series for this long, I see no reason to abandon now, just as the gettings gettin’ good. It will be a notable day when it all ends, and I will be right there to see it with billions of others.


Honorable Mentions:


Red State


Transformers: Dark of the Moon


In a few weeks, I will attempt to assemble my top ten of 2010, as well as my annual personal awards. Until then, let’s hope the new year will bring a bit more joy than the one before it.

No comments:

Post a Comment