Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Reaction to the Oscar Nominees

The nominations are in, and all in all, there weren’t very many surprises. In fact, I’d argue that there were little to no surprises at all this morning. Since I gave up following the Oscar idol with as much intensity a while ago, these nominations didn’t destroy my soul like they’ve done before. Still there were things that still irked and pleased me, so here’s the quick rundown of the major categories.


Best Picture

Black Swan

The Fighter

Inception

The Kids Are All Right

The King’s Speech

127 Hours

The Social Network

Toy Story 3

True Grit

Winter’s Bone

-A very predictable lineup, and I’m glad that 127 Hours managed to beat out The Town and conquer its dying buzz. This is the second consecutive year of ten Best Picture nominees, and the second consecutive year where I’ve been 9 for 10 on this front, with this one being easier since we didn’t have a Blind Side. Another reason to get rid of this system.


Best Director

Darren Aronofsky - Black Swan

David O. Russell - The Fighter

Tom Hooper - The King’s Speech

David Fincher - The Social Network

Joel Coen, Ethan Coen - True Grit

-We have confirmation: the Academy hates Christopher Nolan. I don’t know what this man has to do in order to get a Best Director nomination from these fools, but apparently totally redefining the way they do business and creating the most spectacular directors’ pieces isn’t enough. We might as well give up hope that it ever will happen. I’m not happy to see him snubbed while Hooper’s overdirection and Russell’s unemotional steps were honored instead.


Best Actor

Javier Bardem - Biutiful

Jeff Bridges - True Grit

Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network

Colin Firth - The King’s Speech

James Franco - 127 Hours

-Woohoo! Enough people came out of the woodwork for Bardem and he slipped in. I wouldn’t say it was a surprise, since he was the subject of some chatter, but I’m glad he got in. The only way this would have been perfect is if Bridges could have been replaced by Ryan Gosling. However, I’m not complaining a lot because it was a very competitive category, so little complaints here.


Best Actress

Annette Bening - The Kids Are All Right

Nicole Kidman - Rabbit Hole

Jennifer Lawrence - Winter’s Bone

Natalie Portman - Black Swan

Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine

-Predicted every spot correctly, and I’m glad my personal favorite in this category, Williams, didn’t slip through the cracks. Still, a very predictable lineup.


Best Supporting Actor

Christian Bale - The Fighter

John Hawkes - Winter’s Bone

Jeremy Renner - The Town

Mark Ruffalo - The Kids Are All Right

Geoffrey Rush - The King’s Speech

-Well, what I was afraid was going to happen happened. Hawkes got enough industry support to push him over Garfield. I do like Hawkes in that role, but instead of replacing my personal winner in this category, I wish he could have edged out Renner who gave an entertaining performance but was saddled with an uninteresting character. Had this been a couple years ago, I would have been devastated. Now, I know that Garfield will always be an Oscar-winner in my heart.


Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams - The Fighter

Helena Bonham Carter - The King’s Speech

Melissa Leo - The Fighter

Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit

Jacki Weaver - Animal Kingdom

-Another nice surprise, as Jacki Weaver managed to sneak in. I’m glad that performance didn’t fall between the cracks. Kunis getting snubbed makes sense, though I think she should be nominated in place of a category fraudulent Steinfeld, a submissive Adams, and even a subdued Carter.


Best Original Screenplay

Another Year

The Fighter

Inception

The Kids Are All Right

The King’s Speech

-I don’t know why people were jumping off the Another Year train to get a nomination here. Mike Leigh always gets a mention. The Fighter beat out Black Swan for that fifth spot, and at least Nolan was honored here, but now it looks more like a consolation prize.


Best Adapted Screenplay

127 Hours

The Social Network

Toy Story 3

True Grit

Winter’s Bone

-Five for five here. No surprises at all. Normally I pray for the writing branches of the Academy to shake things up and provide some interesting choices. They opted not to do that this time.


So there is is once again: a list that brings out the manic-depressive in me. Now a new circus begins until the statues are handed out. And still, in the case that these nominees really depress me, I can just think we’ll always have BAFTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment